Dreaming big is a mindset that can transform the way we approach life, business, and personal growth. It’s about having a vision for the future that is bold, ambitious, and inspiring, and taking action to make that vision a reality.
Having a vision gives us direction and a snapshot over our life to make goals. A vision not only motivates you to achieve your goals, but it also places a purpose upon your goal-setting activities. Without an end goal or destination in mind, then you won’t have a clear or defined path. A vision provides this.
HOW TO DREAM BIG
Know Your Purpose.
Having a vision is knowing you who are, and knowing who you are is knowing your purpose. So, having a vision also means having a purpose and having a purpose in life is a key element to psychological well-being.
Know Where You Came From.
To understand where we want ourselves to be in life, we must have a clear vision over our life and an understanding of what has shaped our thoughts and beliefs.
Know Where You’re Going.
Having a vision is also knowing the picture of your future or how you want your future to be. Dream big, be creative and focus on your wishes and not what others expect of you.
Know What Drives You.
Personal Values underpin decision making and being confident in your decision making makes you more determined. Your personal values drive you to do everything you do and are the principles you need to guide your journey.
Never Eat an Elephant Whole.
Or as Desmond Tutu once wisely said “there is only one way to eat an elephant: a bite at a time.” Everything in life that seems daunting, overwhelming, and even impossible can be accomplished gradually by taking on just a little at a time.
Your Mind Will Help You Get There.
Your brain responds better when it knows where it is going rather than drifting around. Having a clear vision or setting a goal engages the brain to be on the lookout for how to achieve your vision.
Have you ever been in a situation where you decide you want to buy something, a new car perhaps? A shiny black Audi, with fancy black alloys and blacked out windows, perhaps white leather interior. Then suddenly wherever you go you see shiny black Audi’s with fancy black alloys and blacked out windows and white leather interior. Those black Audi’s have always been there but you’re only noticing them now because your mind has become more aware; you have more clarity. Your subconscious mind is searching for ways to achieve your goal. Your mind will always help you get to where you want to be.
How to Create a Vision.
1.Understand where you have come from. You need to know where you have come from to know who you are. Knowing who you are will help you determine where you are going.
2. Know your personal values, what drives every decision you make – money, love, family, integrity, the challenge, power, security, growth, religion. What underpins all your major decisions in life?
3. Put pen to paper and dream big! Create your vision. Use vision boards, visuals, words, pictures. Describe and create a vision thinking about every aspect of your life – love, family, health, social life/friends, career/work, finances.
4. Break down your vision into smaller attainable goals or stepping stones. Having these small attainable goals helps the mind to look forward in the face of threats.
5. Congratulate yourself and celebrate each time you achieve one of these goals, no matter how small, because each goal achieved is a step closer to achieving your vision.
6. Keep reminding yourself of your vision. By looking ahead and focussing on your long-term vision you’re less likely to be derailed by the short-term issue, thereby making the challenge less intense. Reminding yourself of your vision primes the brain into seeing new opportunities.
7. Remember, your goals may change along the way, you may need to take a different path to reach your destination. It doesn’t matter how you get there, just keep going.
I love this quote from Martin Luther King Jr.
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
It reminds me to never give up, there’s always a way, you just got to keep moving and do the best you can.
Each one of us is accountable for our current condition. The challenge for many individuals is that they focus on their current condition, not on what they want in the future. The purpose of having a vision for all areas of your life is not just about getting what you want, it’s also about living a fully engaged and exciting life!
A vision is an active and on-going dream that you are striving to achieve.
On a final note, it’s not what you started with; it’s making the start that counts. So, if all you do today is take positive note of the above principles, you’re closer today than you were yesterday in achieving your dreams.
Best of luck